Friday, August 16, 2013

Packing Light: One Bag, Three Days in New York



Products can be found at Polyvore 


Bright and early tomorrow morning, we are heading to New York for a 3-day weekend to celebrate my birthday. When we first planned the trip, a goal I set for myself was to pack everything in a weekender bag.

This is a huge deal for me. I have to admit it … I am an over packer. I can’t seem to help myself. The moment I start to pull outfits aside, all these scenarios pop into my head of possible situations where I would need completely different outfits. Flash forward to three hours later when I am sitting in a pile of clothes, more confused than when I started.

Well this trip, I did it. I was able to pack the vast majority of my stuff into my small weekender bag from C. Wonder. (I say the majority because I put a rented dress from Rent The Runway into a hanging bag and shoved some of the toiletries in the husband’s bag.) 

Below are 5 steps to help you downsize when you pack!

Make a List

Make a list of the days you are going to be out of town and what you plan on doing those days. Just by having the list alone, you will be able to visualize what you will need and what you won’t. I am a little crazy and went through many, many lists this trip!

Be Realistic

I am truly horrible at being realistic when packing. I always pack crazy heels and workout stuff. I am saying for every trip, even a weekend trip. I know I won’t have time to hit the gym and I know, when it comes down to it, I won’t put on the crazy heels.

You can pack extras!

This might seem counterintuitive but you can pack an extra top or an extra sweater. What you don’t need multiple of is jeans, heels, etc for a short trip. An extra shirt will always come in handy and is much less bulky than a whole second outfit.

Accessories can make the outfit

Accessories are great for so many reasons. The best part is an outfit can be made so much better by just adding an interesting necklace or a fun belt. Pack basics and add flair with jewelry!

All the accessories I am packing. 

Edit

This is something I always do and it has helped me so much when I know I need to downsize. I lay everything I want to pack out; all the tops, bottoms, accessories, and shoes. Everything! Then, I walk away. I come back hours later or even the next morning and go through it all before actually packing it. Inevitably, you will find things you know you won’t need.

 Obviously, way too many shoe options. I ended up only packing two pair!  

Best of luck with packing, everyone! I will be sure to document the outfits I packed this trip so I can share them with you all.

The final outfits selected. 


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment