Tuesday, September 4, 2012

World’s Worst Twilight Fan



                 So over the long weekend, I decided to totally veg out … catch up on my magazines, bad tv, and trashy novels. And trust me friends, I did just that. For some reason on Saturday, I felt the desire to watch Twilight: Breaking Dawn. I don’t know where this desire came from but as I had christened the weekend “Dani’s Fat Pants Only Escapade,” I said to myself, “Self, why not?” So as I sat and watched the movie I came to the realization that I am, without a doubt, the world’s worst Twilight fan.

                The journey to this realization was a long one, with many twists and bends. When the first movie came out, I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Who the hell was Edward Cullen? Then someone explained it was a movie about vampires. Now, I was a fan of teen vampire novels from back in the day. I read the original four Vampire Diaries books by L.J Smith back in 8th grade and loved them. But, as many of you might know, loving vampire books back then did not exactly boost your popularity so I kept my love for them to myself. 

                So one day, I rented the Twilight DVD, poured myself a glass of wine, and sat down to enjoy the teenage angst and vampire awesomeness. Let’s just say I was not impressed. Half way through the movie, I distinctly remember yelling at the screen, “They glitter, oh hell no!” I was not a fan. Sure Robert Pattinson was fun to look out but did that outweigh my overall distaste for the movie, no. So I called a spade a spade, finished my wine, and chucked the whole experience as a youthful indiscretion. 

                Now, let’s fast forward to the release of New Moon. Everyone around me was excited. We all sat down to watch the first movie again. I don’t know what happened. I started to enjoy it. I drank the Kool Aid. I saw New Moon in theaters 3+ times! I had to admit to myself … I was a Twilight fan. I bought all four books and read them. I have to admit, I liked them. To this day, I don’t know how it happened. I have not re-read them multiple times like I have done other series (I read Harry Potter over again about every two years.) It’s like a reality t.v. show. You hate everyone in it, but you watch it.

Now, as I said before, I am not your typical Twilight fan. I am the World’s Worst Fan. And this is why:

The new movie is about to come out:
Right before a new film comes out, I get crazy excited. I watch the teaser trailers, I watch the old movies, and I plan group trips to the theater. I am a fan!
The movie is released:
OMG! The movie is about to start. 30 minutes in, I realize I hate these movies. The script is not good, the plot is not good, and the acting is not good. I always hope that they will get better and they never do!
The movie is released on DVD:
YAY! I must run to the store and buy it! I have movie amnesia. I’m so excited to see it again.
I watch it at home:         
Dear God, how could I have forgotten! I have completely blocked out that I don’t think these movies are good!

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way about this series. If anyone knows why we suffer such epic movie amnesia, please feel free to let me know!

PS- Breaking Dawn will be out November 16th! So excited … (I think I have a problem)

No comments:

Post a Comment