Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Single White Female Phenomenon


I love technology. I admit it. I own an IPhone and an IPad. I’m on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. I write a blog (not a very particular good blog but that’s neither here nor there). It seems we are a society obsessed with updating everyone about our every move, food decision, and random musing. I try not to be one of those people. No one needs to know I went to Starbucks and got a non-fat pumpkin spice latte. No one needs to know what I’m wearing to work on a random Tuesday morning.

So I have a theory … (insert Buffy the Musical quote here but I digress) All this pinning, posting, tweeting, and updating has led to an outbreak of the single white female phenomenon.*These are people who follow your every online move. This trend can even trickle down to your day to day life. If you are worried you might have a twin, the list below will help you detect a few warning signs.

Five Warning Signs you are being “Single White Female-d”

Pins Galore
Your Pinterest Boards are oddly familiar. Oh you’re a vegetarian, I’m a vegetarian! Oh my god, we pinned the same red quinoa and kale salad! Oh you posted a photo of army pants and flip flops; I love army pants and flip flops!

Double Take
You could be Facebook twins. You are “Like” clones … the same blogs and the same shares. You post about the SYTYCD finale, so does she. You post trip pics from the beach; later that day somehow she has new beach photos posted.

Tweet Twins
OMG! Re-tweet! You retweet the latest post from ENews! Not fifteen minute later, she has retweeted the same thing. You post #weedsfinale, she posts #weedsfinale. Oh you follow the cast of SMASH, me too!

Where did you get that?
On Sunday, you and a group of friends hit the town for brunch and champagne. You decide to wear your new cutoff jean shorts and dolman sleeve nautical stripe top. You happen to run into the suspect out and about. Next thing you know, you see her wearing the same outfit all over Facebook … muy interesante.

Dude, where’s my stuff?
Now, this is probably the most intense warning sign. Maybe she comes to stay over for a weekend or you run into each other at a friend’s house. Suddenly, you’re missing your favorite sunglasses or scarf. Where, oh where has my stuff gone? It’s at her house!


Now there is nothing wrong with having the same interests or style as your friends. I mean, that’s probably what brought you together in the first place. I love my friends’ style and I often re-pin the same things. Now, do I break into their houses and steal items from their closets?  No, that’s taking it too far.

So be yourself and tweet away!


*If you have not seen Single White Female, I am sad for you. Watch it immediately … but with friends (because it’s creepy!)  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105414/

No comments:

Post a Comment